Ward, Three Area Runners Crowned Bellin Run Champs
June 10, 2023
First-ever 5K gets more feet on the street in honor of health and fitness
Runners and walkers filled the streets of Green Bay Saturday, June 10 to participate in the 47th annual Bellin Run, which included a 5K option for the first time in the event’s history. A familiar face claimed the men’s 10K crown, while three area runners broke the tape in the women’s 10K and brand-new 5K races.
Jared Ward notched his third-consecutive Bellin Run title on the men’s side, defeating fellow elite and 2018 Bellin Run champion Brendan Gregg with a time of 29:55. Gregg covered the 10K course in 30:56.
The women’s 10K crown was claimed by Kathy Vandehy of Menasha, who broke the tape 35:16. Vandehy was followed by Green Bay local Katelyn Murphy, who finished with a time of 36:39.
The Bellin Run registered 7,436 participants in its 47th year. Runners and walkers took to the streets in favorable conditions with temperatures in the mid-60s under overcast skies.
Bellin’s elite athletes were heavily involved in this year’s pre-race activities, participating in Friday’s revamped TRIUMPH Mile of Greatness Charity Fun Run, as well as signing autographs during the Friday night Health & Wellness Expo at Astor Park.
The top 5 finishers in the men’s and women’s 10K races are as follows:
Men’s 10K Overall
- Jared Ward, Mapleton, Utah – 29:55
- Brendan Gregg, West Sacramento, Calif. – 30:56
- Darin Lau, Eau Claire – 32:12
- Riley Stiltman, Green Bay – 32:38
- Cameron Cullen, Kewaunee – 33:08
Women’s 10K Overall
- Kathy Vandehy, Menasha – 35:16
- Katelyn Murphy, Green Bay – 36:40
- Kelsey Radobicky, Green Bay – 37:18
- Maggie Priebe, Allouez – 38:00
- Brook Vandenlangenberg, De Pere – 38:20
The event’s first-ever 5K championship was claimed by Green Bay’s Zach Kubicki, who finished the 3.1-mile route in 17:43. Rebekah Buboltz of De Pere finished in 21:11 to secure the victory on the women’s side.
Here are the top 5 male and female finishers in the men’s and women’s 5K races:
Men’s 5K Overall
- Zach Kubicki, Green Bay – 17:46
- Derrick Fameree, De Pere – 18:15
- Ashtyn Andersen, Green Bay – 18:27
- Dylan Grimsrud, Green Bay – 18:52
- Ethan Schneider, Reedsburg – 20:52
Women’s 5K Overall
- Rebekah Buboltz, De Pere – 21:32
- Lauren Konkol, Howard – 22:56
- Nicole Finley, Green Bay – 23:28
- Sarah Appleton, Portsmouth, Ohio – 23:29
- Audrey Sigl, Seymour – 23:38
The overall course records did not fall. Joseph Kimani retains the men’s course record of 27:46, set in 1997; and Tegla Loroupe holds the women’s course record with a time of 31:48, set in 1999. There was, however, a new age group record set:
- Males ages 75-79 — John Jenk: 52:16
The Bellin Run welcomed back 20 Legends, participants who have participated in every single Bellin Run since the event’s inception in 1977.
The Bellin Run’s two largest programs drew over 3,000 participants between them. More than 2,300 individuals from 133 companies participated in this year’s Corporate Challenge, while over 700 were part of Kids for Running. Close to 700 people volunteered their time for this year’s event.
Complete Bellin Run results are available through the Bellin Run website at www.bellinrun.com/post-race.
Posted in: | 2 Comments